Wednesday, August 25, 2010

W.I.P. Wednesday...or not..



   The battle is on..it has been on for several weeks. This quilt is just not quilting. I have started machine quilting this several times over the past several weeks and ripped it out every time. Ugh. I generally hand quilt my work, especially if the quilting is decorative in nature. For me, machine work is usually a simple repetitive pattern (i.e stippling, bubbles, cross-hatch).
   Originally I designed floral motif to start in the center of the Dresden, like the center of a flower, and then larger loops for a petal effect. I planned swirling leaves to fill the spaces and bleed over the sashing. I started this design, by machine, and hated it! The design just didn't lay right. So, I ripped it out.
   Second design was simple in the ditch and around the applique. On the machine, with a walking foot, I started in the Dresden, however, the fabric kept bunching and puckering. Frustration..started this over several times; never worked right. So, I ripped it out.
   I revisited both designs again with a free motion set up; still had too much bunch, pucker or just a wrong look to it. Part of my trouble might be that I do not machine quilt very often- and almost never in a decorative design. For time's sake, I did not intend to hand quilt this one. The thought of just setting it aside until a later time is nagging at me- I hate to do that..but...I have another quilt waiting for my attention- not mine and only in need of quilting and binding.
   Today I am pondering just stippling the whole thing..all over..and being done with it! Yet...I don't know. What started out as my work in progress ended up with no progress at all.

simplychele

No comments: