Friday, March 30, 2012

Fresh milled flour

Today the Nutrimill is running. We are milling some spring wheat for bread making and some additional to store in the freezer for later use. The warm earthy sent of fresh baked breads bring a sense of home..comfort. I grew up in Kansas, a family farm girl, where bread was a staple of life. Baked goods were always available - as were the chores! My grandfather was a wheat farmer who also raised beef cattle. Grandmother kept gardens, chickens and on occasion rabbits. You can see where our lifestyle stemmed from, though we are much smaller in scale! My own mother made fresh breads and baked goods often. That daily flow of activity, the aromas, the time spent working together to accomplish a task are memories I want my own children to have - they are precious to me. Today, I stir the memories and bake fresh milled wheat bread for my family to enjoy as I did all those years ago.

No comments: