Monday, August 23, 2010

Back To Class.....

It is that time again..time to break out the books, pencils, protractors..school is in session. We did start some classes last week just to dip our toes into the routine, however, today starts full swing. I spent my weekend in fervent and direct prayer for each and every teacher, staff and student whose name has been shared with me directly or whose name God spoke to my heart. I also prayed openly for those of you I have never met; who are facing the same issues or different issues as the rest of us..who are "in the trenches" parenting and teaching the future generation. God will be with us all; He will guide our paths. Our path He has directed already..to were we are today.

We did not always home school. My children attended a Christian private school when they were younger. This routine served us for a time; I even taught kindergarten there for several years. The Lord directed our path to homeschooling when my oldest was in fifth grade and we have been at it every since.
It has not all been roses. My husband says I use to quit every Friday. Getting your "ducks in a row" is not easy...finding your schooling rhythm is not any easier. We struggled to set a pace that worked for us..sometimes that same challenge rises up even now.

With experience comes wisdom. Let me share a few nuggets of wisdom:

1. You do not have to do it all.
2. You do have to do it.
3. Breathe, do the next thing...it will work out.
4. Things should be done in a timely manner, but take the needed time to get the lesson across.
5. Read aloud to your family- every age- it's worth it.
6. Know your kids..what makes them tick..it will help.
7. Learn with them...yes..it's okay to admit it..kids will take it in stride.
8. Take a break occasionally...field trips will save your life!
9. Reward/recognize hard work...celebrate those goals..they will remember/so will you.
10. Pray! Pray! Pray! God will always make a way.

Honestly, without the Lord and the support of my husband, we would never have made it this far. I have a senior this year; a sophomore; an eight grader. It amazes me how far we have come.
Please remember that we are not just teaching for education..just working through a curriculum, we are training future adults, employees, husbands and wives. Take the time to train them in life, in morals, in manners. They need more that just knowledge..give them wisdom!
Praying a peaceful start to your school year!

simplychele

No comments: