Sunday, February 13, 2011

It Is Sunday.....

The Devotion of Hearing

                                                       "Speak, for Thy servant heareth."
                                                                     1 Samuel 3:10

   Because I have listened definitely to one thing from God, it does not follow that I will listen to everything He says. The way in which I show God that I neither love nor respect Him is by the obtuseness of my heart and mind towards what He says. If I love my friend, I intuitively detect what he wants, and Jesus says, "Ye are My friends." Have I disobeyed some command of my Lord's this week? If I had realized that it was a command of Jesus, I would not consciously have disobeyed it. But most of us show such disrespect to God that we do not even hear what He says; He might never have spoken.
   The destiny of my spiritual life is such identification with Jesus Christ that I always hear God, and I know that God always hears me (John 11:41). If I am united with Jesus Chris I hear God, by the devotion of hearing all the time. A lily,or a tree, or a servant of God, may convey God's message to me. What hinders me from hearing is that I am taken up with other things. It is not that I will not hear God, but I am not devoted in the right place. I am devoted to things, to service, to convictions, and God may say what He likes but I do not hear Him. The child attitude is always, "Speak, Lord, for Thy servant heareth." If I have not cultivated this devotion of hearing, I can only hear God's voice at certain times; at other times I am taken up with things-things which I say I must do, and I become deaf to Him, I am not living the life of a child. Have I heard God' voice today/

My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers

No comments: