Monday, July 11, 2011

Home Made Ice Cream Afternoon

small samples from earlier in the week

   Sugar and cream with a few beaten eggs and some vanilla bean- ice cream! Summer sun and Sunday afternoons cause our minds to wander over cups and bowls, scoops and cones, or berries and fudge. We gathered our family for an old fashioned,  hand made ice cream social in honor of our teen's recent birthday.   
   Each family member pitched in: my parents put out some old fashioned vanilla and a country peach, my oldest made a beautiful cake, my farm boy churned up some chocolate custard style ice cream (I made a summer berry sorbet) while my mother in law contributed a beautiful tray of fresh fruits.
   With spoons in hand our tasty treats were sampled and savored and sampled some more. Memories were shared over empty bowls; recollections of ice cream gatherings from days gone by. The orange sherbert we use to make, strawberry (and how the recipe differs from the peach version), trips to the peach farm and ice cream gatherings that followed- my kids' version of ice cream in a bag- best not forget that home made chocolate sauce my mother use to make.
   Oh the fun we have had over the years with some cream, salt and ice. I do believe the ice cream tradition will pass along- maybe the old ice cream maker will too!

2 comments:

Canadagirl said...

Oh thank you for the idea of getting a Kitchen Aide ice cream maker. [o= I will have to save up and get it for next summer or may this winter. [o;

Blessings<><
-Mary

Unknown said...

I was fortunate enough to receive this as a gift. A family member does not eat dairy; knowing we do and that we wanted one..they gave it to us as a gift.
We are very happy with it- though it doesn't make very much, it is just right for a treat.
I hope it works out for you.