Friday, October 14, 2011

Dirt Under My Nails...An Obsession

   I love gardening; there, I said it- doesn't that feel better. The intense heat and extreme drought deprived me of my passion long enough...I am reclaiming my soil...taking up my broad fork and hoe...it's time to get real about planting. No, the drought isn't over (the heat has improved). My soil is a dust bowl and my compost is like chalk; ugly...there is a lot of work to be done.
   My family knows (as does anyone who really knows me) with out my garden time I am mean; I need dirt under my nails. The feel of living matter, soft and moist in my hands...it's earthy scent..the find of living things..it drives me. Seeing life spring forth from a dry seed humbles my spirit and leads my heart to my Lord. Harvests remind me of 'the gathering'; His growing and bringing together of His people. I need dirt under my nails.

   In an attempt to reclaim my garden and feed my gardening void, ten projects are on the menu for today:

1. Planting: soil is turned and amended now so it's time to set some seed.
2. Soaker hoses and drip systems: my research has led me to a few notions (cleaning my garden revealed crumbling soaker hoses..so new ones are needed)..we'll see what we end up with.
3. SIP's are being built: right now I have one complete..a self irrigating planter..for testing in and out of the greenhouse...how to's are coming.
4. The greenhouse: I've been braving the dry barren sight of my greenhouse..sad little thing..and am trying to soak and settle things in there..that's a task!
5. Mulch, mulch, mulch: with this drought, we're gonna need it! Seeds in, soil soaked, mulch on; that's the plan.

   Up keep, up keep, up keep. This garden season is going to be one great big challenge, and I'm okay with that. Facing such a challenge will fill the need..the dirt under my nails need..I've missed it so much! So who is joining me in this madness? Do you crave those little moments with the Savior getting dirt under your nails?

2 comments:

Angie in SoCal said...

I know just what you mean. I've just spent two hours gardening and feel wonderful! We're not have a drought but it's been too hot to go out there and toil the soil. But no more!
PS: that omelet-a-which=a sounds delicious!

Intentional Living Homestead said...

Your post made me smile...and tired all at the same time LOL. So glad it's going to be winter here so I can hibernate from dirt under my nails.

Have a great weekend.
Connie