Sunday, May 13, 2012

Into the Fields

At the end of April or the beginning of May blueberry season starts its brief time here in the south. Plump juicy bubbles of blue goodness dangle temptingly from tall sprawly bushes. Blueberries are not native to our region, but years of testing and trying have brought the blueberry to our deep south. 
We have been picking our fresh blueberries since the kids were just tots. We toted picnic lunches and wagons through the rows year after year to gather these precious treats. Often my farm boy rode on my shoulders gathering berries from overhead; his sisters at my feet gathered from below. 
He now carries his own bucket and, being the same height, challenges me to pick a load faster than he does.
His sisters are no longer at my feet but carrying their own load as well. This one prefers to softly wander just a few bushes away, gently humming as she gathers.
 For the first time our oldest didn't join us; work called her away..it happens when they grow.
As a special treat, my husband came along for his second berry picking trip. Nice to have a few strong arms to help haul those heavy buckets:)
Pound after pound, year after year, our family heads into the fields..fields filled with history..fields filled with family...with memories..with blueberries.



4 comments:

Dicky Bird said...

Wow what alot of blueberries! Nice memories too... :) Blessings from Wisconsin - not blueberry time till July.

Unknown said...

Thank you! I bet you look forward to those berries once they come. My day will be filled with 'putting them up' as my grandmothers would say.

Anonymous said...

Wonder if you would tell me where I might find info as to how I can make our blueberry bushes flourish like yours? Thanks

Unknown said...

These are not my blueberry bushes, but a local upickit farm. Sorry, can't help you.