Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The Start of a Good Harvest

   An afternoon stroll through the corn field revealed a pleasant surprise: a first harvest. My husband and I gathered in two five gallon buckets of fresh sweet corn! Together at the picnic table we shucked and scrubbed the plumb tender ears before giving them a good salt water soak (to remove all silks and bugs).
   The herd enjoyed nibbling the husks and silks from today's harvest; a welcome treat in this terrible heat!
   The first harvest is cleaned and packaged- into the freezer for delicious summer eating...several more ears remain in the field until they plump just right. I have to say...this was the start of a pretty good harvest!

   What tasty delights are you harvesting today?

 

5 comments:

Becky said...

Oh, that looks so good. I'm glad you're getting a good harvest.

Anonymous said...

looks yummy! hope this is a sign of a good harvest year! Erica

Unknown said...

Thanks, ladies...I was so excited!

Mrs. Farmer said...

I don't have the land for corn, but I pulled the first garlic head of the year! It was perfect! I will pull the rest and post about it in a couple weeks- there are still a few green tops out there.

Congratulations on your sweet corn!

Pioneer Mom said...

Your gardening photos remind me of gardening in Iowa. Here in Belize it is later in summer that we harvest sweet corn. Looks good!