Sunday, December 16, 2012

Simple Candies

Candy making is a long standing tradition in my family; one that spans back as far as I can remember. Wonderful memories of grandmothers and aunts gathered in kitchens. Sweet syrupy aromas bubble and swirl. These rich memories are treasures of mine. Memories like these I wanted for my kids..and I could hardly wait to start. 
We all know that cooking with small children has to be simple and easy; complicated candies just wouldn't do. As a step to bigger things, we started candy making with our little ones with two very simple candies: White Chocolate Peppermint Bark and Peanut Clusters.
   For the White Chocolate Peppermint Bark, we start with a large bag of peppermints- unwrapped and placed in a resealable bag. Using wooden spoons and rolling pins the mints are pounded and swacked to a nice chunky to fine consistency. While the kids crush the mints, I would melt a package of white melting chocolate in a double broiler. All hands gather around as the mints swirl and stir into the chocolate before being poured into a wax paper lined baking sheet or dropped by spoonfuls onto a wax paper surface.

   As soon as the dishes are washed it is time for a little milk chocolate treat. Melting some chocolate melting chocolates in a double broiler we then stir in salty peanuts for a wonderful treat. Dropped onto a wax paper lined usrgace, they hardly set before kids start sneaking a taste.

   Though our kids really outgrew these simple recipes, the taste for their sweet salty minty goodness. In the fair of toffees and brittles our first shared candies still find a home. In fact, this year they have been shared and passed on to new friends and younger families.

 

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

Just in time, Michele - I need some quick and easy candy. I've made the peanut clusters before, but didn't know how peppermint bark was made. It is so easy - I guess I should have intuited it! Thanks again.

Unknown said...

Hope you have a blessed baking day!

Leigh said...

What a lovely tradition. I have to admit we never did much candy making, so I am clueless about it myself. Something about homemade goodies though, really helps keep the holiday special.