Monday, September 19, 2011

Quilts and Crumbs: WIP


   The weather here in the deep south has calmed a bit: slightly cooler temps and a touch of rain. With the week ahead of us, let's update our work in progress.


   Here's a new quilt on the table. Fall colors mess together in an eighteen inch Dresden design to create a wreath-style wall quilt. All fabrics are re-purposed pieces or remnants from projects gone by-- best things to use!
   Cross-hatch quilting fills the space around the quilting-edged Dresden. Today my goal is to quilt a falling leaf motif along the outer boarder. Maybe have the binding complete this weekend- I can be optimistic, right? Let me dream.


   On the piecing table is a new, fun little ditty- a crumb quilt. If you never heard of a crumb quilt..you're right there with me..sounds intriguing, right? A post over at Jo's Country Junction piqued my curiosity so I just had to join her invite to 'quilt along'.
   A crumb quilt is basically using all your leftover crumbs and snippets from previous projects to create a quilt. Miniature variations of traditional block patterns are paired together in nontraditional ways lending to amazing creativity and variety. So...  

   Gathering my scrap tub...I keep a plastic tub under my sewing table right next to the trash can- project scraps drop right in as I snip and stitch....sorry about the bunny trail there. Okay, gathering my scrap tub, sewing machine, lap top and just jumping in head first...I landed with a thud. My first several attempts were just disastrous.
   My teens refused to let me surrender the urge to throw things and quit, so, after many...and I mean many..attempts, these two blocks came to be. Using a variation of the Flying Geese pattern mixed with a little Crazy Quilt style and voila! the first two blocks of my crumb quilt.






   Also on the table: some additional Dresden pieces waiting to become a beautiful fall wall quilt similar to the first one listed today. As you can see, there is a lot of sewing to do here today!




  

2 comments:

Michele, a distracted quilter said...

Hi Michele,

Your geese blocks are fantastic. I especially like the one with geese going in both directions. Tomorrow is Crumb-along Tuesday and I'm already getting my sewing table ready for the next installment.

Unknown said...

Thank you..the flying geese facing each other is kind of my 'happy accident'. I told my husband those would have been geese from my house--only my geese would fly at each other!
Checked out your quilt today and it's so pretty--love it!