Monday, November 21, 2011

Farmhouse Foods: Double Pie Crust

   Every pie maker has their 'go-to' recipe for pie crust- I am no different. My pie crust recipe has been handed down through the generations.

   I come from a long line of pie makers. Making a pie was like a right of passage in our families..you were a 'real woman' when you turned out a tender crust and a sweet filling. The fancy pie maker in my line of farm women is my mother. Her crusts were infamous: light and flaky with a soft egg wash that held a dust of crunchy sugar. Lattice work fruit pies were her most requested works of art.







TRADITIONAL DOUBLE PIE CRUST

2 cups flour
3/4 cup shortening
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup ice cold water

Before I begin, I chill my mixing bowl as well as the ingredients (before mixing them).

In a chilled mixing bowl, sift flour with salt. Cut in the chilled shortening until it resembles a coarse meal. Gently stir in the water a tablespoon at a time until the dough 'comes together'. 
Divide the dough in two parts and shape as a disk. Wrap with plastic wrap and chill at least one hour before use.
This makes ahead and freezes well.

   This pie crust has been used over the years for sweet pies as well as savory. Flaky and tender..the key is exactly what your grandmother told you---don't over work it! I have to confess, my oldest daughter (a rough and tough rodeo farmgirl) makes a better pie crust than I do...who knew? This year, just for good measure, our farm boy tried his hand at pie crust with a savory chicken pot pie. Let me just say..he put me to shame! 
   In preparation for the upcoming thankful dinner, pie crusts are prepped and chilling in the fridge..waiting silky chocolate cream and custardy pumpkin fillings...yum!
   Now, who's hungry for a good old fashioned pie?

No comments: