Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Back to the Prairie: The Familiar Aroma






   Cold winter days find me down in the basement with the old toy chest and my dear Siamese friend, Buffy. The old milk truck, Holly Hobby, and the pull behind dog fill my morning with imagination and mischief. Hours and hours of creative wonder are spent (sometimes in the pink sewing room where patterns and fabrics call my name).
   Lunch time is drawing near and drawing me out of my imaginative world. My feet start the climb up the green basement steps as a familiar aroma finds me. I pause, taking a deep breath to be sure..yep..the unmistakable scent of cabbage cooking. Wonder if I can linger here on the step undetected all through lunch.
   If there is one thing that I would rather die than eat it's cooked cabbage and my grandmother loves to make her cabbage casserole..often. Tomato and hamburger are no problem at all, but the cabbage is a thing I just can't get past.
   Called from my dreadful pondering, I climb the stairs and head to the kitchen. No doubt I will be sitting at the table for a long time because here on the farm you do not waste food and you do eat what you're given.


THE CABBAGE CASSEROLE

1 head cabbage, rough chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 lb ground beef
1 can tomato soup

Grease a casserole dish and place cut cabbage in bottom. Brown hamburger and onion in a skillet and drain. Spoon over cabbage. Spread tomato soup on top. Do not stir. Bake 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until cabbage is tender.

5 comments:

Clint Baker said...

My mom used to fix this, of coarse they are German so they fixed cabbage every way possible!

momto8 said...

ha ha my kids don't like this smell either..but I love this recipe! I

Grandpa H said...

You come by the dislike of cooked cabbage honestly. When I was a child, my mother would prepare me a meal to eat outside because just the smell of cooked cabbage made me sick in the stomach.
Grandpa H

Unknown said...

I have never grown into the desire for it..not even today. As for my teens..they despise the smell as well. Isn't that funny!

Anonymous said...

mmmmmm delish! i can smell it from here!
btw- you can download a kindle app for your computer! just go to amazon, click on an ebook you want (if you like any on my blog pages i'd be thrilled if you ordered thru me!) and when it comes up to order it it will direct you to download either the book or the app first :)