Thursday, June 21, 2012

Scaife Family Values: Being a Complement


   Conversations with my older teens led to a discussion about relationships: how do we complement our mates (or for them, their future mates)? Several moments of silence led them to pose the question to me: how do you complement our dad? Oh, when they do that! My answer:
Willingness:
to do what is needed, 
to help where I can,
to learn and grow
to love even when I don't want to, 
to serve wherever and when ever,
to see past faults,
to forgive;
to compromise- even when it is hard,
 to make the choice to yield to another,
to set aside me for him, 
to let go and let God.
   No, my marriage has not been easy- nor will it ever be. My character is not perfect- nor is my husband's. Willingness is a choice; a challenge; a surrender of self and a yielding of will. My answer may seem so simple, but it is my prayer that our teens grow to be husbands and wives with willing hearts...willing spirits...and long lasting relationships devoted to God and His plan for their future.

   How do you complement your mate?


  

3 comments:

J.E. Traweek said...

What a great insight!
You prove your point in showing your girls and young man how it is done!
God bless your family.
That picture is priceless; you two look like sisters!

Keli Martin said...

I <3 this post ... great job Mama!

Dicky Bird said...

I like this post too. Actions speak louder than words. Blessings from Wisconsin.