Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Follow My Footsteps: As Day Begins

As day begins...
Faint sounds stir my mind as sunlight streams through the curtains; day begins. Warmth and comfort feed my desire to stay here, wrapped in the security of slumber. My husband gives me a nudge for he knows a day awaits ...a day filled with things that will vie for my attention.
Coaxed from the toasty covers, cold stings my feet as the creaking overhead tells me the farm boy has heard it too: the calls from the barn as the farm is waking.

Bundled and wrapped we slosh frigidly to the barn as the hungry noises urge us on. Near the stalls, familiar scents welcome us: sweet hay mingled with muck and mire. Feed is measured and poured while hay is thrown into it's trough...the gentle nuzzles of warm noses tickle our cheeks: a gentle thank you for the morning meal. Hens cackle and turkeys gobble, the roosters give their part...their turn now. Wings all a flutter as grain is poured and their busy scratching begins. The Hadassah will only stop barking once the farmboy sets her breakfast out.

Leaving the warmth of the barn we hurry across the wet farmyard to the warmth of the farm kitchen. The bold scent of coffee draws me to the stove as the farm boy scatter about to clean up and get ready. Soon the delicious aroma of warm eggs and toasty waffles lures him to the table where steaming plates await.
Our conversation begins with the "need to's" of the day. Discussions vary from fences that need work to gentle reminders of lessons and garden plans. Our plates empty with a quietness...chatter slows...with the opening of the Bible, day begins.

No comments: