Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Epic Fail, I Think...


Is that not the most unappealing thing? 

  The summer milk supply is plentiful; taking up quite a bit of space in the fridge. Cheese is made daily, yet, we just aren't eating it as fast as I thought we might. In an effort to decrease fridge space and not add any more to the already loaded freezer, my creative mind decided to look into canning fresh milk.
   Let me just say there is not a whole lot of information about canning fresh milk. People freeze it- with mixed reviews. Some sell it- the legality of that is always in question. A sparse few can it- I can see why. Over all, my research show no FDA or other such standard/recommendation for canning milk. County extension agents frown upon it claiming no clear evidence of it's safety or shelf life. 
   So, I lost my mind, bit the bullet, and just gave it a go (after reading three homesteaders' advice and reading a goat dairy booklet). Twenty-five minute in a pressure canner at ten pounds pressure. The results are somewhat repulsive. Separated and somewhat caramelized, the milk has an unappealing scent and is just yucky. Shaking, stirring-even blending the milk would not bring the levels of separation back together. I had intended to try cooking with it; now I'm just not sure. I mean, just look at it.
    People, I believe we have a fail. An epic fail. The dog refused it (she eats everything). The chickens are unsure of it- they looked at me as if I were nuts. My question to you is, have you ever canned your milk? Would you? And, how would you use it? Share your story- I'm itching to hear from you.

3 comments:

HIBISCUS HOUSE said...

Well, you just don't know until you try it. Now you know and so do we, thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

True, Dolly. Glad to have spared you all the experience:)

Mrs. Farmer said...

Extra milk has never been an issue for me. Sorry I can't help you!