Friday, May 13, 2016

A Walk in the Garden

Walking through the garden last night I tried to calm my mind; to find the peace that is lacking. I'm not good at stillness, but rather find busyness more my nature. Between the rows there were young hens picking at the fresh cut grasses, kittens poised for a chase, and dear Ben at my side wondering at my mood. My hand brushes over the herbs releasing their precious oils- I breathe deep in natural response to the action.


Eventually I found myself picking green beans- something I have been doing since I was old enough to know how; something I have done with my own children since they were old enough to be taught how. My mind wondered over the memories of how we did this together- a somewhat dreaded task. Mosquitoes hiding under the leaves pester us as we rush to find every hidden one before the sun sets. Talk of our day would ebb and flow to help us pass the time.


Stopping to stretch I realize it completely boggles my mind to think one of my children will be so far away in just a short time- in a place he really wasn't hoping to go. The military is like that though. His call challenged me as I respectfully tried to find ways to listen and yet lessen the hesitation he had. It will be and adventure for both of us; he will see a whole new world and I will find my new place in this one.


It is amazing how a walk in the garden allows you to sort through the 'boxes' in your heart- those places where we tuck things away so we don't have to deal with them at the time. Things will be okay. It will all work out. Life will move forward and a new adventure will begin.


Thank God for the garden!





No comments: