My time at the close line has been a time of loving and a time of learning. Some things were basic and easy to catch. Others, well, they were things I never dreamed. Join me for Ten Lessons from the Line.
1. It is rare. It never ceases to amaze me the people shocked by the fact we line dry our clothes.
2. You can hang anything. Whatever size, shape, or weight..where there's a will, there's a way.
3. It's a form of exercise. Three seconds into hanging up or taking down a load of wash a swarm of mosquitoes locates you body and turns your line time into an extreme workout. (and you thought I was going to say bending to your toes and reaching over your head..oh, honey, that's the warm up)
4. May cause blindness. Once a terry bath towel has dried on the line..those tiny terry loops become prongs of death...my advice..pat, don't rub..you'll poke your eye out!
5. Makes children disappear. Kids magically know how long a wash load runs; they vanish the minute it's time to hang the wash.
6. Requires logical thinking. You become a puzzle solving mathematical genius once you realize you only have so much line and three baskets of clean wash.
7. Creates an escape. Unpleasant conversation? Need to get off the phone? Out of a grueling task? Suddenly have to get the laundry on or off the line:)
8. Predicts the weather. If you ever find the pockets and sleeves of your line drying laundry filled with leaves and acorns...bad weather's coming..trust me..happened three times in one summer..tornado each time.
9. Attracts livestock. Horses, donkeys and dogs truly believe you hung it there for them to pull to the ground and roll on. Goats find it quite a challenge to drag it around the yard and chew it half to death before you catch them.
10. It soothes. A good long session of laundry give you time to reflect, to pray, to solve the problems plaguing your soul.
Spend some time today with your laundry..it just might teach you something!