Tuesday, January 1, 2013

New and Busy Start

   Deary wet and cold..that is how this first day of the new year started for us..just a bunch of nasty not niceness. Topping off the list of not niceness- two sick kids.. Justin and June. My farm boy is still fighting a feverish congestion and my little goat is just not thriving. Slippery trips between the barn and the living room to care for my charges..that was one busy start to this new year.
    Another busy start to the year is a new quilt on the frame and a new design to go on it. It's no secret I love traditional quilts..their style and design connect me to the past and my wild prairie home. To start my year with my prairie close to my heart a pretty crumb sampler style quilt was pulled from the unfinished bin and set in the frame. To continue the connection to my past a motif was chosen to link my two heritages together. My father's family held in it a Baptist pastor..therefore the Baptist fan motif will grace the yards of my churn dashers and flying geese. Already a challenge, row one is done..now to manage a second.


   For one more crazy start to this year..new thimbles. I have used the same worn out plastic thimble since as far as I can remember..but my hands have been killing me so I ventured into new territory with a whole new set of thimbles. Deeply dimpled and custom fit to my small hands and nubby fingers, the Thimble Lady thimbles arrived under my tree and quickly made their way to my fingers. Can you believe I am learning to quilt with my thumb as well? Ever so helpful in this particular pattern.
     Finally, one more busy start to the new year..changes and revisions to our shop. Jen and I have been busy at work with fresh new photos and spiffed up write-ups..even a few new items to be seen. We have designed business cards and flyers, redesigned the banners and are still working on the custom price listing. For me, the absolute hardest thing about the shop is putting a price to my work. On one hand it seems so odd to value my work, and on an other it seems invaluable..I don't know how other people do it.
      I will lay my head down tonight with colors and motifs dancing in the darkness. Sounds of coughing and little goat cries will keep my ears attentive..and the collision of my family past will great me anew in the form of a waiting quilt. It has been a wet and new and busy start, but oh what a good start it is.


4 comments:

Dicky Bird said...

Pricing my art is hard. I love to do it so it doesn't seem like work. I know I am "cheaper" than others, I do want to sell it. One thing, if you are more reasonable, you will have repeat customers. Blessings from Wisconsin.

HIBISCUS HOUSE said...

I sure didn't have the time to devote to my stores last year. In the past though mostly in the 80's I had my creations in several stores. I found that you must give value to your time, talent and work. You don't have to gouge but if you don't put a good value on your work no one else will. In those stores she kept charging the others designer, crafters more commission but my work sold and kept her in business,she said and she never went up on my price...so be fair but don't cut yourself...I have seen your work in your store online and it is excellent...

Unknown said...

Thank you both for the insight. It is a tough call determining price, but it is necessary. Dolly, thanks for the reminder and the sweet compliment.

Keli Martin said...

Pricing is SO difficult for me too! I struggle just the same, especially with my jewelry. I view my pieces as art works, painstakingly chosen beads to go perfectly with my handmade beads ... no piece is the same, no bead the same. But some people just don't get that :-/