Friday, April 11, 2014

I'd Rather Be...

     Today was a day in the office; the place I'd rather not be. Confined by the beige walls, tucked away from natural light and beauty.. the office is, well, confining. Meetings and paperwork have their place and I respect their need, however, there is a place I'd rather be.
      I'd rather be tip toeing through a garden filled with bloom and wonder.. gazing at the sunlight as it filters through the canopy... absorbing color, beauty  and sound... breathing in fragrance and life. The moment I arrive at home, my feet can't help but make their way to one of the three gardens we keep. The victory garden hold a greenhouse filled with beautiful greens of variant colors: dark and light green with hues of blue, shiny green with deep red veining, and green so pale it almost seems white. Outside of it there lies fruit bushes just leafing out, winter greens gone to seed with tiny flowers white and yellow. Fresh spring peas filling out among their vines near young lettuce and kale just about ready to harvest. Wild chickweed creeps ever closer from the tree line needing a hearty trim to keep it at bay.
       In the larger garden by the well, old fashion tea roses peeked open today offering a hint of dainty color. Pears, apples, strawberries and blueberries hide among the foliage near the jujube and the black berry canes. Here new tomato sets hide among mustards gone to seed, and pepper starts play peek-a-boo between the winter onions. I spotted squash starts and pole beans peeking through the leaf mulch- I'm amazed the chickens haven't pecked them to death. Wait till they see the melons start to vine.
          My final stop is the herb garden; close to the house for easy strolling. There fresh green seems to burst from ever inch. Fragrance and beauty are sprouting and flourishing just enough to give mystery to newly added toad homes and a stray white goose figure. These will hopefully be joined by more hidden secrets as we consider a story book garden for the soon-to-arrive grand baby. I ponder what time we may spend together here, seeking a buzzing bee or a flitting butterfly.. maybe even spying a lizard to two.
             Just as my soul starts to relax, replacing the chaos with calm, the barnyard calls with duties to fill; still not as hectic as my day. One last breath of apple mint before I head that way. I tuck a sprig in my pocket where I can call upon it later when I need a soothing reminder of the peace and joy all found in my garden.. always the place I'd rather be.



2 comments:

Angela said...

Lovely post. What is a storybook garden? Our first granbaby is almost two- awesome! We soon close on our new home. I am soooo excited about new gardens; I have a strange sense of fun. : ) Angela

Kathleen said...

Gosh, I wish I could see your gardens! They sound so lovely...