Monday, September 1, 2014

A Weekend in Review

      Labor Day, the first Monday in September, is- according to the U.S. Department of Labor- a creation of the labor movement and is dedicated to the social and economic achievements of American workers. It constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of our country. Hm. That is interesting. Did you spend this weekend contemplating the strength, prosperity and well-being of our country as it relates to your work? I didn't.
       Most of us approach Labor Day as another opportunity to force ourselves into hosting some form of gathering- at least that is my opinion. I, personally, would rather pull weeds in my garden, muck the coop, and sit on my porch swing reading my newest Joel Salatin book- none of which I managed to do this weekend. Even if those goals had been met- I still wouldn't have been pondering the effect of my little job on the nation's well-being.
        Instead, I rocked a sweet grandbaby while getting some seeds in start cells, read same baby stories while trying not to ponder the junk in the yard that needed cleaned up, and played 'giddy-up' with that very same baby while running tomorrow's work day though my mind. While some were mowing, sweeping and shopping, I dabbled in drool and infectious giggles. Who manages to consider the efforts of their work when two tiny teeth peek out of a smile every other minute? Sorry, not me.
        Lest I be a stooge, there was a last minute grill gathering at my homestead; a few family members who wanted to share in the giggles and spiddles I had been enraptured with. It was simple yet fun with no talk what so ever of our jobs or social impact. No.. we laughed and babbled.. ate and played pass the baby.. we fussed about what to do with the left overs and went our own way never once considering the purpose of the labor movement.
         So tonight, covered with bubbles from her bath and drool from our story time I take a moment to ponder the meager employee which is me and how small a dimple I must make in the great national work force. My job is rather insignificant to most large minded economic social number crunchers, and yet.. it impacts the community around me.. it opens doors to connections otherwise lost.. it has grown from a tiny temporary project to a large and blossoming opportunity. My job may be small, my global impact insignificant.. but to a tiny child.. my job is priceless. That is what I celebrate tonight.. on Labor Day.. as I savor a bowl of Blue Bell with my amazing 'Mr. Go'.

No comments: